Prepare to be wowed by this sweet treat’s crisp crust, rich custard, creamy ice cream, and soft meringue. This is a must-try Filipino dessert!
Prepare to be wowed by this sweet treat’s crisp crust, rich custard, cool and creamy ice cream, and soft meringue. This is a must-try Filipino dessert!
- Make the meringue: Whisk egg whites until foamy. Add cream of tartar and salt. Gradually add sugar. Continue whisking until stiff peaks form. Bake in a 9×9-inch baking pan at 300ºF for 1 hour. Invert on parchment paper dusted with confectioners’ sugar.
- Make the custard filling: In a bowl, whisk together yolks, sugar, and condensed milk. Place in a double boiler. Cook until thick. Remove from heat then add butter and vanilla. Cool.
- Make the crust: Combine ingredients. Mix well and press onto the bottom of 2 (9-inch) loaf pans. Bake for 10 minutes. Cool. Set aside and chill.
- To assemble: Spread a thin layer of custard filling over the chilled crust. Add a layer of softened ice cream. Cut meringue into 2, making sure the pieces fit into the pans. Place over the ice cream layer. Dust with confectioner’s sugar. Cover with foil or plastic wrap; freeze before unmolding.
- Layering tip: For the ice cream layer, you can opt to use vanilla ice cream or your favorite ice cream flavors. Want to try something new? Use frozen yogurt instead!