Cornflake-crusted crunchy calamari rings are better with a hint of chili!
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
Ready In: 35 mins
Cooking Method: Fry
3 cups cornflakes
1 teaspoon chili flakes
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
30 to 40 frozen squid rings thawed
2 eggs, beaten and seasoned with sea salt
3/4 pack sour cream
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 to 3 tablespoons sriracha
1 tablespoon honey
- Pulse together cornflakes, chili flakes, and pepper in a food processor until almost powdery; the finer the better. Transfer to a medium bowl.
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Dip squid rings in eggs then coat in cornflake mixture. Deep-fry in hot oil until golden. (Make sure to bread each piece just before frying; do not bread all the rings in one go.) Drain on a wire rack and set aside.
- Make the sour cream-and-onion dip: Place all ingredients in a blender and purée until smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 5 days.
- Make the honey-Sriracha dip: Whisk all ingredients together in a bowl. Season with salt. Refrigerate, covered, for up to 5 days.
- Serve calamari with sour cream-and-onion and honey-Sriracha dips.