Here’s a puto recipe that you can whip up with the kids!
Here’s a puto recipe that you can whip up with the kids! This rainbow puto is both easy to make and delicious. It’s the classic steamed kakanin, but with lots of bright colors. Don’t forget the cheese!
Try this easy version of the classic Filipino cake for a delicious merienda.
IMAGE Majoy Siason
- Lightly grease muffin pans or individual puto molds with oil. Prepare and set up your steamer.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, sift the flour, sugar and baking powder together and whisk until combined. Add the butter, evaporated milk, egg and water. Mix well.
- Divide batter into 6 small bowls. Place 3-4 drops of different colors liquid food coloring into each bowl and mix until combined. You can adjust the amount of food coloring to place until you get your desired colors.
- Place 1/2 tablespoon of each colored puto mixture into individual molds (or greased muffin pans) until just about full. Add the cheese slices in the middle.
- Prepare your steamer and arrange the molds inside. Place the cover on and cook for 15 minutes. Remove from steamer. Let stand for 5 minutes and unmold.